Mango Suji Halwa (Mango Kesari, Mango Sheera) is a delicious dessert no matter what you name it. This recipe is adapted from Kesari Bhath, a common sweet dish in Karnataka. Pineapple kesari is a very popular flavor available and relished by most.
Mango Sooji Halwa recipe calls for sweet, ripe and fragrant mangoes. Since the market is flooded with mangoes, my favourite fruit, I am always at lookout for ways of including them in my meals. This is a very simple recipe and very easily made. I have used fresh mango pulp but this can be made with canned puree also.
Yield: 4 to 5
Prep time: 5 minutes
Total time: 25 minutes
Ingredients For Mango Suji Halwa
½ cup rava / suji (semolina)
1 cup mango pulp
1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon ghee
½ or ¾ cup sugar
½ teaspoon elaichi powder (cardamom)
1 tablespoon almonds/ cashew chopped (optional)
½ cup milk
½ cup water
Food colour (optional)
Directions For Mango Suji Halwa
- Mix water and milk and bring to boil. Set aside.
- Heat 1/3 cup ghee in a pan; add suji and saute on low heat till golden.
- Sprinkle 2 tablespoon water and saute till the moisture evaporates.
- Now pour in the hot water and milk, stir till no lumps are there.
- Add mango pure and stir till it thickens.
- Add sugar and stir till the sugar melts and the halwa is thick.
- Switch off the heat and add cardamom powder.
- Add 1 tablespoon ghee and mix.
- Serve immediately garnished with almond.