Chilli Basil Vegetables (Gravy) is delicious gravy full of flavors. Fresh basil is the high point of this gravy dish. I love to use fresh herbs and it cannot be fresher than this as I have plucked basil and spinach from my balcony just a few minutes before cooking.
This simple main course gravy dish is quick and easy to prepare. You can play with the combination of vegetables you have in hand to enjoy this dish. I have used homemade chilli sauce made from fresh red chilies.
Serve with steam rice, pan-fried noodles or with crispy fried noodles.
Yield: 3 to 4 servings
Prep time: 10 minutes
Total time: 20 minutes
Ingredients for Chilli Basil Vegetables
1½ cups button mushrooms quartered
1 cup baby corn diagonally cut
½ cup eggplant cubed
½ cup onions cubed
1 cup spinach leaves
1 cup basil leaves
1 teaspoon ginger paste
2 tablespoon garlic paste
1 fresh red chilli for garnish (optional)
For the sauce
1½ to 2 teaspoon red chilli sauce (homemade recipe)
1 teaspoon soya sauce
½ teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon corn starch
3 cups water
2 tablespoon oil
Salt to taste
Directions For Chilli Basil Vegetables
- Mix all the ingredients for the sauce in a bowl and set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan on high heat; add ginger, garlic paste, onions, baby corn, mushroom and saute for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add homemade red chilli paste and saute.
- Add eggplant and saute for 2 minutes.
- Now add in the soya sauce and mix all ingredients.
- Add corn starch and bring to boil while stirring continuously. Let it simmer till the vegetables are just cooked.
- Add the spinach, basil and mix.
- Add in the lemon juice and check the seasoning.
- Serve with rice or crispy noodles.