Moong Dal Halwa is a classic dish that is relished throughout North India. In Rajasthan, it is considered to be auspicious, and is prepared during Holi and Diwali. It is also a must in the menu during weddings specially taking place during winter season. This halwa is made with split moong dal ( split moong beans). This rich and delicious halwa requires patience and time, but it is worth it.
You can also view our Video for this recipe!
Yield: Serves 6
Prep time: 10 minutes + soaking time
Total time: 60 minutes
Ingredients For moong dal halwa
1 cup dhuli moong dal (Split green gram skinless)
1 tablespoon besan (Gram flour)
3/4 cup Ghee
3 cups milk
1 cup Khoya/Khova/Mawa (milk solid) grated
1 ½ cups sugar
2 drops of orange colour (optional)
½ teaspoon Green cardamom powder
2 tablespoon badam thinly sliced (Almonds)
A few strands of kesar (Saffron)
Chandi Ki varq i.e. edible silver foil (optional)
Directions for moong dal halwa
- Soak dal in plenty of water for 4 hours.
- Drain and grind the dal without adding water to a paste. (Not too smooth)
- Heat ghee in a non-stick pan. Add besan and saute for a minute. Add moong daal paste.
- On low heat, stirring continuously, sauté till brown or for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Now sprinkle 1 tablespoon of water and stir till it becomes dry again. Repeat this 2 to 3 more times.
- Add the grated mava and stir well otherwise it will stick at the bottom.
- Heat the milk and add to the dal mix, keep stirring till the milk gets absorbed.
- Now add sugar and keep on stirring till the sugar gets absorbed.
- Switch off the heat. Add cardamom powder, saffron and half of the almonds. Mix well.
- Transfer to a serving dish. Sprinkle rest of the almonds on top.
- Optionally you can garnish with chandi ki varq (edible silver sheet).
Note: If you want to use Home Made Khova/Khoya (milk Solid), then please check-out our Video https://youtu.be/3-iHXImltdc.