Shahi Paneer – Cottage Cheese gravy is a delicious dish loved by all in my family. It is made with soft paneer (cottage cheese) pieces cooked in thick gravy. The gravy is rich and creamy made of cashew, almond and melon seed paste. This dish is on the menu of every Indian restaurant. You can make shahi paneer with or without frying the paneer chunks. We are making shahi paneer sabzi with pan fry paneer chunks.
Shahi means Royal. Try this recipe to make a truly royal dish. This is a traditional recipe that has been followed from generations and has been mainstay preparation in Indian cuisine since many decades. It is best enjoyed with Garlic Naan, Butter Naan, Rumali Roti or Khasta Paratha.
Yield: 4 servings
Prep time: 20 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
Ingredients for Shahi Paneer – Cottage Cheese gravy
400 grams Paneer (cottage cheese)
3 Lavang (Cloves)
2 Badi Elaichi (black cardamoms)
2 Choti Elaichi (green cardamoms)
1” piece Dalchini (cinnamon)
2 medium Onions sliced
1 teaspoon Ginger chopped fine
1 tablespoon Garlic
2 tablespoon Khoya
1 teaspoon Kashmiri red chili powder
1 teaspoon Dhania (Coriander powder)
½ teaspoon Haldi (Turmeric powder)
½ teaspoon Garam masala powder
2 tablespoon Dahi (yogurt)
½ cup Tomato puree
½ cup Milk
Salt to taste
2 teaspoon Sugar / Honey
1 teaspoon Lemon juice
2 tablespoon Fresh cream
A few strand of Saffron
½ teaspoon Rose water
2 tablespoon Oil
2 tablespoon Ghee
For the paste
2 tablespoon Badam (Almonds)
2 tablespoon Kaju (Cashew nuts)
2 tablespoon Magaj (Melon seeds)
DirectionS for Shahi Paneer – Cottage cheese gravy
- Soak almonds, cashew nuts and melon seeds in warm water for 30 minutes, grind to a paste. Set aside.
- Soak saffron in rose water and set aside.
- Heat oil and ghee in a pan and pan fry the paneer pieces on high heat, lightly. Drain and keep soaked in a cup of water.
- In the same pan add cloves, black cardamom, green cardamom and cinnamon.
- Add ginger, garlic and onion and saute till translucent.
- Switch off the heat and let it cool.
- Blend the masala in a blender along with yogurt to a fine paste.
- Transfer the paste to the pan, add the tomato puree, almond paste and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add chili powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, garam masala, salt and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add khoya cook for another minute.
- Add paneer, honey, lemon juice, and milk and cook on low heat for 5-6 minutes.
- Adjust the thickness of the gravy by adding water if required.
- Add fresh cream and cook for a minute.
- Finally add the paneer which was pan-fried earlier and kept soaked in a cup of water.
- Serve with little cream, saffron and rosewater on top.