Samosa is the most popular Indian snack. There is no right time to eat a samosa as it can be eaten at any time of the day. It has a crisp flakey covering with aloo (potato) stuffing. Matar Aloo Ka Samosa is a favourite breakfast during winter as plenty of fresh green peas is available. Green peas add a little sweetness to the spicy potato filling.
Yield: 25 to 30
Prep time: 20 minutes
Total time: 50 minutes
IngredientS for matar aloo ka samosa
For the stuffing
500 grams potato boiled
1 cup green peas boiled
1 teaspoon green chilli paste
1 teaspoon ginger paste
2 tablespoon coriander chopped
1 teaspoon sauf pounded (fennel)
1 teaspoon amchur (mango powder)
1 teaspoon garam masala
1 teaspoon roasted dhania jeera powder
1 bay leaf
Salt to taste
2 tablespoon oil
For the dough
400 grams maida (all-purpose flour)
4 tablespoon oil /ghee
½ teaspoon ajwain (carom)
1 teaspoon salt
100 ml water approx
Oil for frying
Directions for Matar aloo ka samosa
- Combine all the ingredients for the dough in a bowl. Knead well and cover the dough with a wet muslin cloth and keep aside for 15 minutes.
- Peel the potatoes and gently mash or crumble them keeping some chunks and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a pan; add the bay leaf, ginger, green chilli and saute for 30 seconds.
- Add the green peas and aloo and saute for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add all the dry spices and salt and saute for another 2 minutes.
- Switch off the heat and add the coriander and mix.
- Set aside to cool a bit.
How to proceed
- Knead the dough to smooth and elastic.
- Make a lemon size ball and roll it evenly to an oblong or oval shape.
- Cut the oval horizontally into 2 equal portions using a knife.
- Apply water on the edges and join to make a cone.
- Fill the cone with the masala
- Apply water on the edges and stick to close the cone. Press to seal properly.
- Prepare all in the same manner.
- Heat the oil to fry the samosas. The oil should very hot.
- Gently slide the samosa one by one and fry on medium to low heat till golden, by turning continuously so as to get uniform golden colour.
- Drain on a kitchen towel.
- Serve with green chutney / tamarind chutney or tomato ketchup.