Bell peppers, the one vegetable I enjoy the most in any form. raw or cooked. They are the most versatile vegetables in the kitchen. Peppers make yummy salads, soups, and casseroles. They can be stuffed, grilled and sauted.
Today I have stuffed these peppers with Mexican flavoured rice and have made a Mushroom sauce to compliment it. The vibrant colour of these peppers make the dish very appealing to the eyes and the sweetness of these peppers goes very well with the rice.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
3 medium peppers (red, yellow and green)
1 recipe of Mexican Rice
1 teaspoon olive oil
A pinch of salt
1 teaspoon coriander chopped
For Mushroom Sauce
200 grams mushrooms sliced
1 medium onion chopped fine
1 teaspoon garlic minced
2 tablespoon spring onion greens
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon grated cheese
Salt and pepper to taste
1 teaspoon corn starch mixed in 3 tablespoon water
2 tablespoon olive oil
- Prepare the rice and keep aside.
- Cut off the tops of the peppers and remove the ribs and seeds. Lightly sprinkle the inside of the peppers with salt.
- Lightly grease an oven safe dish, place the peppers and spray oil on them.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 10 minutes. Now grill them for 10 minutes.
- In the meantime prepare the sauce.
- Heat oil in a pan; add garlic and onion, sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms, sauté for a minute. Add salt and sauté till mushrooms are cooked.
- Now stir in cream, add pepper and spring onion greens, and stir to mix well.
- Stir in corn starch mix and cook till the sauce is ready.
- Switch off the heat, add lemon juice and cheese. Keep aside.
- Stuff the grilled peppers with rice. Place them back on the baking dish and bake for 6 to 8 minutes.
- Serve with the mushroom sauce on top or alongside and sprinkle coriander.