This dish is prepared with stir fried saucy vegetables and fried noodles. There are a lot of variations in the preparation of the sauce but the core of it is a bed of crunchy noodles.
Yield: serves 4
Prep time: 20 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
1 packet Hakka noodle
1 teaspoon oil
1 tablespoon plain flour
Oil for frying
1 medium onion cubed
1 cup mixed peppers cubed
½ cup sliced carrot
¼ cup beans cut diagonally
1/4 cup baby corn cut diagonally
½ cup cabbage cut into cubes
1 teaspoon ginger chopped fine
1 teaspoon garlic chopped fine
2 tablespoon corn starch mixed in a cup to water
1 teaspoon soya sauce
½ teaspoon red chilli sauce
½ teaspoon veg. oyster sauce
Salt to taste
1 teaspoon lemon juice
2 tablespoon spring onions chopped
- Boil plenty of water in a large pan. Add 1 teaspoon oil and salt. Now add the noodles and cook till almost done but not mussy.
- Drain and run cold water so the cooking process stops. Leave it to dry for 10 minutes.
- Now sprinkle plain flour on the noodles.
- Heat oil and on high heat fry the noodles until crisp.
- Drain and store.
- Heat the oil in a pan. Add ginger and garlic and stir for a minute.
- Add carrot, onion, beans and baby corn and stir of a minute.
- Now add the peppers and cabbage. Stir fry the vegetables for just two minutes only.
- Add the soy sauce, chilli sauce, oyster sauce and salt to the vegetables, stir.
- Now add 2 cups of water. Bring to a boil.
- Add corn starch mixed with water. Let the gravy boil.
- Adjust the thickness and seasoning to your taste.
- Switch off the heat and add lemon juice.
- Serve the gravy on top of the crisp noodles.
- Garnish with spring onions.
Note: Take care not to overcook the vegetables. The gravy should be thick in consistency. You can use a dash of tomato sauce if you like it sweet. Fried noodles can be stored in an air tight container, for a couple of days.