Khasta Kachori as the name reveals is a crisp and flaky snack loved by all. A spicy filling with lots of fennel and dry mango powder gives a punch to these kachoris. The filling can be made of moong dal or urad dal. This is eaten on its on or can be made as a chaat using yogurt, sev and chutneys. Kachori Chaat is a delicious savoury dish.
Yield: 20 to 25 pieces
Prep time: 30 minutes
Total time: 1 hour approx
Ingredients for Khasta Kachori
For the Dough
2 cups maida (All purpose flour)
¼ cup oil
½ tsp salt
Water as required
For the filling
1/2 cup moong dal soaked for 2 hours
3 tablespoon oil
2 bay leaves
1/4 tsp hing (asafoetida)
2 tsp ginger-green chilli paste
1 tsp coriander seeds coarsely pounded
1 tbsp sauf coarsely pounded (fennel seed)
1 tsp garam masala
1 tsp roasted jeera powder (cumin)
1 tsp dried amchur (mango powder)
Salt to taste
Directions for Khasta Kachori
- Combine maida oil and salt. Rub with your finger tips. Make a semi soft dough using water. Cover with wet cloth and rest for 20 minutes.
- Grind the moong dal in a blender to a coarse mixture without using any water.
- Heat oil in a non-stick pan . Through in the bay leaves followed by asafoetida.
- Add moong dal mixture, ginger-green chilli paste and saute on medium heat.
- When the dal mix starts to dry add all the dry masalas.
- Cook till the moong dal is lightly browned, while stirring continuously.
- Set aside to cool.
How to proceed – Khasta Kachori
- Knead the dough and divide into 12 portions. Make balls.
- Now flatten the ball with help of your fingers or roll into a very small poori.
- Now place 1 tsp full of stuffing in the centre and close from all sides to made like a ball again.
- Flatten the ball and roll lightly to a round shape.
- Heat oil on a medium heat and fry kachori in batch of 5 to 6. When puffs up
- reduce the heat and fry till golden brown.
- Drain on a kitchen towel. Like wise prepare the rest.
- Flaky moong dal kachoris are ready to be served.
- Serve with green coriander chutney or Imli chutney.