Tomato soup is a favourite among the kids and even the adults. The homemade soup does not taste as good as the ones served in a restaurant. This recipe will help you make a delicious soup better then the restaurant one. This Tomato Soup is rich and creamy but not too heavy. I have avoided the use of cornflour for thickening and instead have used the natural starch of a potato.
Don’t skip the croutons as tomato soup with crispy croutons is the best combination. If you have a Air fryer then make the croutons using it. They taste better than the fried ones.
Yield: Serves 4 to 5
Prep time: 5 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
For the soup
500 grams ripe tomatoes roughly chopped
1 large onion roughly chopped
5 large cloves of garlic peeled
1 medium potato peeled and grated
2 tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon sugar
Salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoon fresh cream
For the croutons
3 slice of bread
Garlic Butter for the bread
- The Croutons
- Butter the bread slices on both the sides.
- Cut into cube or bite size.
- Bake in a hot oven till crisp.
- Heat the butter in a pot, add the garlic and stir till colour starts to change.
- Add the onion and cook while stirring till translucent.
- Now add the sugar and the tomatoes and cook till they start to become mushy.
- Add potato, 2 cups water and pressure cook for 15 minutes.
- Blend in a blender to a pure.
- Strain and transfer to a pot, add salt and pepper.
- Boil the soup, add water to adjust the thickness to your liking.
- Taste and season accordingly.
- Stir in half the cream. Take off the heat.
- Serve in individual bowls topped with rest of cream and a few Croutons.
Note: You can avoid the butter for the croutons. Croutons can be made in air fryer.