Rice is a staple ingredient which accompanies most meals in the Middle East. Pilaf (Middle Eastern Style) is a long grained rice tossed with, onions and garlic. The saffron adds colour and flavor to the rice, and combines wonderfully with the spices. Soaking the rice before cooking for 15 minutes helps to elongate the grains, resulting in fluffiest rice.
Yield: 4 servings
Prep time: 10 minutes
Total time: 35 minutes
2 cups basmati rice or long grain rice, uncooked
2 cups vegetable broth or stock
2 cups water
2 medium onions finely chopped
2 Cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil
½ Teaspoon salt or to taste
4 black peppers
A few strands of Saffron
- Heat oil in a large pan; add the pepper, cloves and cardamoms.
- Add the onions and garlic and sauté until soft and a light golden colour.
- Add the rice, and sauté, add salt.
- Stir in the vegetable broth and bring to a boil.
- Cover, and reduce the heat. Simmer on low heat till the rice is cooked.
- Remove from heat; add the saffron mix and let sit, covered for 3-5 minutes. Fluff with a fork and serve immediately.
- Rice Pilaf can be best eaten with Chilli Vegetables with Beans.