All across India, people like to have a small bowl of curd along with their afternoon meal. In all the South Indian States, a meal is incomplete without a small portion of Curd Rice. This simple dish can be made in many ways. I have added vegetables and pomegranate seeds to this soft creamy dish to give some texture and colour. It is best served with lemon pickle and papadums.
Total time: 20 minutes
2 cup cooked rice
2 cups curd (yogurt)
½ cup milk
½ cup cauliflower, carrot and beans chopped fine
1 tbsp curry leaves
1 tbsp oil
½ tsp mustard seeds
½ tsp jeera (cumin)
½ tsp urad dal (optional)
2 dry red chilli broken
1 green chilli slit in two
A pinch of hing (asafoetida)
Salt to taste
1 tsp chopped coriander
1 tbsp pomegranate seeds
- Lightly mash the rice with the back of a serving spoon.
- Heat the oil in a pan, add the mustard, jeera, urad dal, dry red chilli and stir.
- Add the hing, green chilli and curry leaves. Stir and add the mix vegetables and salt.
- Cook covered on low heat till the vegetables are cooked.
- Switch off the heat and add the rice. Mix well and let it come to room temperature.
- Now add milk and 1 cup of curd to the rice, mix well. Rest it for 10 minutes.
- Add rest of the curd and the chopped coriander.
- Serve garnished with pomegranate seeds.
Note: You can avoid the mix vegetables. I have used them to make this dish wholesome.