Besan Wali Bhindi (Stuffed Okra with gram flour) is a spicy and tangy side dish made in Rajasthani style. Made from lady fingers, gram flour and combination of spices this Bharma Bhindi is an aromatic dry Sabzi which is easy to make but tastes great. You can pair this dish with roti, paratha and rice. I like it most with puri and Aloo Tamatar ki sabji.
I strongly recommend sautéing of besan and spices as it helps to relies the aroma and the rawness of the besan (gram flour) is gone.
Yield: 4 serving
Prep time: 10 minutes
Total time: 20 minutes
Ingredients For Besan Wali Bhindi (Stuffed Okra)
400 grams small lady fingers (okra)
1/3 cup besan (gram flour)
2 tablespoon coriander powder
2 tablespoon amchur (mango powder)
1 teaspoon chilli powder
1 teaspoon cumin powder
½ teaspoon garam masala
½ teaspoon haldi (turmeric)
1 teaspoon jeera (cumin)
½ teaspoon rai (mustard)
1 teaspoon sauf (fennel)
¼ teaspoon methi (fenugreek)
¼ teaspoon hing
Salt to taste
2 + 1 tablespoon oil
Directions For Besan Wali Bhindi (Stuffed Okra)
- Wash and wipe the lady fingers. Trim the top and bottom. Make a slit without cutting apart.
- Heat 1 spoon oil in a pan; add mustard, cumin, sauf, methi, hing and add in the besan.
- Saute on low heat till aromatic.
- Add all the dry masala’s, salt and saute for a minute.
- Set aside to cool.
- Now fill in all the bhindi with the besan.
- Heat 2 tablespoon oil in a pan; add the stuffed Bhindi’s and sauté for 2 minutes cover and cook on low heat for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Give it a stir and let it cook uncovered till cooked and crisp.
- Add the left over besan masala if any and saute for 2 minutes.
- Switch off the heat.
- Serve with roti and rice.