Sabudana Kheer (Sago And Milk Pudding) is a delicious dessert usually prepared during festivals. This kheer or payasum is made with sago pearls and milk and mildly flavored with cardamoms.
It is a very simple and easy recipe to make. During Navratri and other falahari fasts, this kheer is a good option as it is quite filling and keeps the hunger at bay.
Yield: 4 to 5 serving
Prep time: 5 minutes
Total time: 35 minutes
Ingredients for Sabudana Kheer
1 litre milk
3 to 4 tablespoon sabudana (sago)
½ cup sugar (a little less if you like less sweet)
¼ teaspoon cardamom powder
6 almonds sliced
1 teaspoon ghee (clarified butter)
Directions for Sabudana Kheer
- Keep the milk to boil in a sauce pan.
- Ones it starts to boil lower the heat and let continue to boil.
- Heat the ghee in a pan; add the sabudana and saute till all the sabudana has slightly popped up. Switch of the heat as the colour starts to change.
- Add to the boiling milk gradually and continue to boil on low heat till the milk is 1/3 reduced.
- Add sugar and continue to boil till the sabudana is cooked and the milk is reduced to half.
- Switch off the heat; add cardamom powder, chopped almonds.
- Serve hot or cold.