Matar Bhari Aloo Tikki (Peas Stuffed Potato Patties) is a much-loved dish especially during winter when the market is flooded with fresh green peas. I love green peas and find ways to use them more and more. I have used fresh green peas but you can also use frozen ones.
These karari (crispy) tikkis are so flavorful and delicious. The filling has the sweetness of green peas and raisins, crunch from the cashews, spice from green chills and ginger all in perfect harmony. Soft from inside and crisp from outside these tikkis are a great snack for parties and functions. Serve them with hari chutney and imly chutney. You can also make tikki chaat by adding dhai and bhujiya.
So here is the recipe with the Video as shown above and step by step pictures below for making perfect crispy stuffed tikkis, just like the famous UP chaat walas.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
Ingredients For Matar Bhari Aloo Tikki
½ kg potato boiled
1 tablespoon rice flour
1 tablespoon corn starch
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup green peas crushed
1 teaspoon green chilli chopped fine
1 teaspoon ginger chopped fine
1 tablespoon coriander chopped
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon cashew chopped
1 tablespoon raisins chopped
½ teaspoon garam masala (optional)
A pinch of sugar
Salt to taste
1 tablespoon oil
Ghee/oil for shallow frying
Directions For Matar Bhari Aloo Tikki
- Mash the potatoes; add rice flour, corn flour and mix well to form a dough. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan; add ginger, green chilli’s, peas and saute for 3 to 4 minutes till the moisture dries off.
- Add the salt, sugar, garam masala, cashew, raisins and stir to mix.
- Switch off the heat, add lemon juice, coriander and mix.
- Let the filling come to room temperature before proceeding.
- Now divide the potato dough into big lemon size balls.
- Grease your hands, flatten each ball and stuff 1 spoon of filling, close from all sides and make a ball again.
- Now with greased hands gently press the balls to form thick patties.
- Heat a nonstick pan, shallow fry the patties evenly on medium to low heat to a golden brown and crisp outer cover.
- Serve with green chutney and imli chutney.