Vegetable Goan Curry has a good mix of aromatic spices, fresh coconut and coconut milk.The dish is not spicy though you can increase it. It is a pretty simple dish to make but is full of flavors and delicious with steamed rice.
The Goan curry paste is an essential in any kitchen in the state of Goa. Locals prepare it from scratch with commonly found fresh ingredients such as coconut grated, onions, tomatoes, ginger, garlic and spices. The paste is easy to make, saves you time for making a fresh curry from scratch and you can freeze a batch for another day.
Yield: 4 serving
Prep time: 10 minutes
Total time: 20 to 25 minutes
Ingredients For Vegetable Goan Curry
400 grams mix vegetables cubed (cauliflower, carrot, beans, potato, Brinjal, baby corn)
1 green chilli slit in 2 (optional)
½ cup coconut milk
2 tablespoon tamarind pulp
2 tablespoon oil
Salt to taste
For the paste
1 onion sliced
1 tomato cubed
1 tablespoon garlic
1 teaspoon ginger
½ teaspoon cumin
1 tablespoon coriander seeds
4 to 6 dry red chills
½ teaspoon haldi (turmeric)
¾ cup coconut grated
Directions For Vegetable Goan Curry
- Transfer all the ingredients for the paste in a blender and make a paste .
- Heat oil in a pan, add the paste and saute till oil starts to separate.
- Add the vegetables and saute till the vegetables are well coated with the paste.
- Now add 1 cup water, salt and cover and cook till the vegetables are half cooked.
- Add the coconut milk and continue to cook till the vegetables are cooked.
- Add water if required to have thick gravy.
- Now add the tamarind paste and adjust the seasoning.
- Serve with steamed rice.