French Onion Soup is a classic soup, my all-time favourite. Most of us have this soup in restaurants but do not make it at home. Here is a simple and quick recipe for this delicious soup without using wine.
Onion is the main ingredient of the soup. Onions have sugar in them and when cooked, the sugar gets caramelised and imparts sweetness. The other important ingredient is the stock. Since this recipe is for a vegetarian French onion soup I have used vegetable broth. I like to make my own stock to get the right flavors for my soup. The soup is generally broiled in oven-proof bowls to melt the cheese, but if you don’t have oven-proof bowls don’t worry, you can just top your soup with melted cheese toasts.
You may watch our Video for this recipe here!
Yield: 4 serving
Prep time: 5 minutes
Total time: 20 minutes
Ingredients for French Onion Soup
1 baguette sliced into 1”thick slices (French bread)
2 to 3 pod of garlic
1 litre Vegetable Stock. Recipe for Vegetable Stock here.
2 cups onions sliced
½ cup mozzarella cheese/Gruyere
2 tablespoon Parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon plain flour
Freshly cracked pepper
Salt to taste
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce / balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon oil
1 tablespoon mustard powder (optional)
Direction for French Onion Soup
- Preheat the grill.
- Toast the baguette and rub garlic on it, set aside.
- Heat oil, butter, onions and saute on low heat till translucent and starts to caramelise.
- Add flour and saute for a minute.
- Stir in the stock and let it come to boil.
- Add salt, pepper, balsamic vinegar, mustard and simmer on low heat for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add Parmesan cheese and stir.
- Ladle soup in oven proof cups/ bowls and place 1 or 2 piece of toasted baguette and cover with cheese.
- Place in a preheated oven under hot grill to broil.
- Broil till the cheese melts and browns slightly.