Lemon Rice is a popular dish of south India. It is very quick and simple dish to prepare. The peanuts and dal add a bite and lemon juice imparts the tanginess to the dish.
Lemon Rice is often given as prasadum in the temples, served during feasts and gatherings and even made to be packed in the tiffin box for lunch. I love to eat lemon rice with poppadums and spiced Masala Chaas (moru/ butter milk).
Yield: 2 to 3 serving
Prep time: 5 minutes
Total time: 15 minutes
Ingredients for Lemon Rice
1 cup rice
1 green chilli slit
1 teaspoon ginger chopped fine
1 tablespoon coriander chopped fine
1 tablespoon curry leaves
1 tablespoon lemon juice
¼ teaspoon lemon jest (optional)
½ teaspoon mustard seeds
½ teaspoon jeera (cumin)
1 red dry chilli broken
1 tablespoon chana dal
1 tablespoon split urad dal
2 tablespoon peanuts
2 tablespoon cashew halved
¼ teaspoon haldi (turmeric)
1 teaspoon sugar
Salt to taste
Pinch of hing
Directions for Lemon Rice
- Cook the rice with ½ teaspoon of salt. Spread it on a plate to cool. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan or Kadai; add mustard, red chilli, green chilli, chana dal and urad dal. Saute till the dal colour starts to change a little.
- Add the peanuts, cashew, jeera and hing. Saute till cashew changes colour.
- Now add ginger, curry leaves and mix.
- Add haldi, salt, sugar and mix.
- Add lemon jest and lemon juice.
- Now add the rice and coriander and toss well.
- Cover and cook on very low heat for 3 to 4 minutes.