Kathal Ke Kabab (Raw Jack Fruit Kabab) is a delicious starter. This Awadh Style Kabab is a vegetarian’s delight. The jack fruit has a fibrous texture which resembles mutton, and this kabab is the vegetarian version of the famous Shami Kabab. These kababs are busting with flavors of spices. Serve these mouth melting Kathal Ke Kababs with Mint Yogurt chutney and onions juliennes.
You can also watch our video on making of Kathal Ke Kabab!
Yield: 15 pieces
Prep time: 15 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
Ingredients for Kathal Ke Kabab
2 cups boiled kathal
½ cup onions chopped
1 teaspoon ginger chopped
1 tablespoon garlic chopped
1 tablespoon mint chopped
2 tablespoon coriander chopped
1 teaspoon lemon juice
4 tablespoon roasted chana dal (split bengal gram)
1 tablespoon roasted jeera powder
1 tablespoon roasted chilli and dhania powder
Salt to taste
2 tablespoon oil
2 tablespoon oil to pan frying.
For Spice mix
2 green cardamoms
1 black cardamom
Directions for Kathal Ke Kabab
- Dry roast all the spices and pound in a mortar pestle. Remove the peel of cardamom and make a coarse powder.
- Heat oil in a pan; add ginger, garlic and onions and saute for 2 to 3 minutes. Switch off the heat and add the kathal.
- Cool and transfer in a blender and grind to a coarse paste.
- Take out this mixture in a bowl.
- Grind roasted chana dal to a powder form using a blender.
- To the Kathal paste, add pounded spice, jeera powder, chilli, dhania powder, salt and chana dal powder, and mix well.
- Now add the mint, coriander, lemon juice and mix. Adjust the seasoning to your taste.
- Divide the mixture into 15 to 16 portions and make balls.
- Flatten these balls to make tikkies or kababs or patties.
- Heat a nonstick skillet or a pan, drizzle oil, place the kababs in batches and shallow fry on both the sides to golden brown.
- Serve with Mint Yogurt Chutney and onion rings.