Falahari Singhare Ka Cheela (Water Caltrop Pancake) is a simple and quick dish made during fasts / vrat like Navratri, Jamastami etc. when Falahari food is eaten. This is a healthy change from the fried Singhara puri that is often eaten during vrat.
If you can’t find singhara flour then make these cheelas with kuttu (buckwheat) flour.
Singhara is a rich source of iron, vatamins and fibre. It is found in South East Asia and India. In India we eat fresh paniphal or even boiled ones during beginning of summer as that is the season.
Yield: 8 to 10 serving
Prep time: 5 minutes
Total time: 20 minutes
Ingredients for Falahari Singhare Ka Cheela
1 cup singhara atta (Water Caltrop flour)
1 cup mashed potato
2 tablespoon coriander chopped fine
1 teaspoon ginger green chilli paste
½ teaspoon dhania powder
½ teaspoon chilli powder
Sendha Namak to taste (rock salt)
Ghee (clarified butter) / groundnut oil for pan frying
Directions for Falahari Singhare Ka Cheela
- In a bowl mix all the ingredients except ghee / groundnut oil.
- Now make batter by adding water slowly. The consistency should be neither too thick nor too thin.
- Heat a good nonstick tava (skillet) and pour 2 tablespoon of the batter in the middle and spread it by the back of the spoon in a circular movement just like dosa.
- Drizzle a few drops of ghee and flip to the other side, add ghee.
- Roast on both the sides to the desired crispness.
- Serve with Kacche Aam Pudina Ki Chutney (Raw Mango Mint Sauce).