Spinach Ravioli is an elegant party dish. This visual treat tastes amazing. It can be prepared well in advance to be served for the party. The filling is quite healthy, made of spinach and cottage cheese. The dough for this pasta is eggless. This dish may seem complicated but trust me it isn’t as complicated as it looks.
Ravioli is a traditional Italian pasta dish made by stuffing rounds or squares of pasta dough with a filling. Ravioli is traditionally made at home. The filling varies according to the area where they are prepared. These days ready made Ravioli’s are available but nothing to beat the homemade ones.
Yield: 30 to 40
Prep time: 40 minutes
Total time: 60 minutes
For the Ravioli dough
2½ cups all-purpose flour
½ cup semolina (suji)
1 teaspoon salt
2 Tablespoons Olive oil
1 cup water
For the filling
2 cups blanched spinach chopped fine
1 cup cottage cheese crumbled (You can use ricotta)
1 medium onion chopped fine
1 tablespoon garlic minced
½ cup grated mozzarella
½ teaspoon pepper
A pinch of nutmeg
Salt to taste
1 tablespoon olive oil
For the sauce
750 grams tomatoes cubed
2 tablespoon garlic minced
1 medium onion chopped
¼ cup basil torn
1 teaspoon chilli flakes
2 tablespoon olive oil
Salt to taste
1 teaspoon sugar (optional)
Grated Parmesan for garnishing
For the dough
- Transfer all ingredients for the dough in a food processor and make dough. Apply oil and cover with a damp cloth. Rest for an hour.
For the Sauce
- Blend the tomatoes and garlic to make a puree.
- Heat oil in a pot, add the onions and saute for a minute.
- Add the puree, chilli flakes, sugar and salt. Simmer covered on medium heat, for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Switch off the heat, check the seasoning and add basil.
- Set aside.
For the Filling
- Heat the oil in a pan, add garlic and onion, Saute for a minute.
- Add spinach and saute till it is dry.
- Now add the cottage cheese, salt, pepper, nutmeg and cook for a minute.
- Switch off the heat and add mozzarella. Set aside.
How to Proceed
- Knead the dough and divide into 5 balls.
- Roll a ball to a 2 cm thick round.
- Use a ravioli cutter or any other round cutter to make small rounds. Remove the rounds. You will need 2 rounds for making one ravioli.
- Place ½ to 1 teaspoon of the filling on the round and apply a little water around the edges. Cover with another round. Gently seal the edges and make marks with a fork.
- To cook the ravioli, bring plenty of water to a boil, add 1 spoon oil and 1 teaspoon of salt.
- Gently slide the ravioli’s in batch of 5 to 6. Stir the pot gently.
- The ravioli’s will start floating to the surface of water, when they are done. The ravioli’s will be done within 3 to 5 minutes.
- Take them out by slotted spoons.
- Serve them immediately with the prepared sauce and some grated parmesan cheese on top.
Note: Keep the dough covered all the time. You can make the dough by kneading with hand also.