Matar (Ghugni) is a very simple but a versatile dish, relished across many states of India. It is a very favourite dish of the people of Odisha and Bengal and is eaten all the time. During breakfast it is eaten with Pori or Luchi, for lunch with rice or roti and as an evening snack with Aloo Bonda.
Yields: 3 to 4 cups
Prep time: 15 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
1 cup Dried Yellow Peas soaked for 4 hours (Yellow Matar)
1 teaspoon ginger garlic paste
1 Green chilli chopped fine
1/4 teaspoon haldi (Turmeric powder)
½ teaspoon dhania (coriander powder)
1/3 teaspoon amchur (dry mango powder)
1/2 teaspoon Garam masala
½ teaspoon sugar
A pinch of Asafetida
Salt to taste
1 Bay leaf
½ teaspoon mustard seeds
Oil 2 tablespoons
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 onion chopped fine to serve
- In a pressure cooker boil the Matar with 2 1/2 cups of water and salt on medium heat for 15 minutes or till cooked.
- In a small bowl, combine ginger garlic paste, sugar and all the dry spices except mustard and hing. Add 2 tablespoon of water and mix well and set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan; add cumin seeds, bay leaf and green chilli and sauté till lightly browned.
- Add the paste and sauté on low heat till oil comes out.
- Add the boiled peas and mix well. Add water if required and let it simmer for 10 minutes on low heat.
- Switch off the heat, add lemon juice and coriander.
- Serve hot garnished with onions along with Roti or Rice.