Onion Chutney For Idly Dosa is easy and quick to make. This chutney is a superb complement to idli, dosa, and appams. Onion chutney is hot and spicy, sour and tangy. It is commonly cooked in all south Indian homes.
Serve with Vegetable Idly and Cheese Uthappam.
Yield: 1 cup
Prep time: 10 minutes
Total time: 15 minutes
Ingredients for Onion Chutney for Idly Dosa
3 onions chopped
4 red chilies
1 teaspoon urad dal
2 teaspoon channa dal
2 teaspoon tamarind pulp
2 teaspoon oil
½ teaspoon cumin
A pinch of hing
½ teaspoon Jaggery
Salt to taste
1 teaspoon mustard
1 teaspoon curry leaves
1 teaspoon oil/ghee
Directions for Onion Chutney for Idly Dosa
- Heat 2 spoon oil and add cumin seeds, channa dal, urad dal and fry until urad dal changes its color to slight red, then add red chillies and hing and saute for a minute.
- Add garlic, onion and fry them until they turn slight brown in color. This might take some 4-5 mins.
- Add tamarind and Jaggery at the end and switch off the heat. Cool a bit.
- Grind to a paste. Add little water if required while grinding. Remove the chutney to a bowl.
- Heat 1 spoon ghee/oil and crackle mustard seeds and add curry leaves and fry for some time and add this tempering to the chutney and mix well.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE