Moth Moong Ki Dal (Mat Bean and green gram based lentil) is a delicious main course dish. It is a combination of just two types of beans that is whole moong and moth. Moth is also known as Turkish gram or, dew beans. They are commonly eaten in Rajasthan and other states of India. Moong is also known mung or green gram.
Yield: 4 servings
Prep time: 5 minutes + soaking time 30 minutes.
Total time: 60 minutes
Ingredients for Moth Moong Ki Dal
½ cup moth
½ cup moong
1 teaspoon ginger chopped
1 tablespoon garlic chopped
1 green chilli chopped
½ cup onion chopped
½ cup tomato chopped
2 tablespoon coriander chopped
¼ teaspoon haldi
1 teaspoon dhania powder
½ teaspoon chilli powder
1 teaspoon jeera
A pinch of hing
1 tablespoon ghee
Salt to taste
Directions for Moth Moong Ki Dal
- Wash and soak both the dal together for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Transfer the dal in a pressure cooker with 3 cups of water.
- Add salt, haldi, green chilli, ginger, half the onions and cook on high heat till first whistle, reduce the heat and cook on low heat for 3 to 4 whistle.
- Wait for some time and then check the dal. It should be cooked well but not mushy.
- Switch on the heat and continue to cook on low heat without the cooker lid on.
- Heat ghee in a pan; add jeera, hing and then garlic, onion and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and saute till the tomatoes are pulpy.
- Now add the coriander, chilli powder and saute for a minute.
- Add to the boiling dal and mix.
- Check the consistency and add the coriander.
- Serve with roti.