Bedmi Aloo Sabzi (potato curry) is served with Bedmi Poori and hence the name. This preparation of aloo is quick and easy to make. Made without using garlic and onion this is a satvik recipe and is made during festivals also.
The gravy is made from tomatoes and various spices and as a result the gravy is thin but flavourful. This is a very quick recipe to make, and you only need to plan and boil the potatoes ahead of time.
If you are in Uttar Pradesh and especially in Mathura or Agra or Banaras and want to indulge yourself with something spicy and special to that region then in my opinion the best option is Bedmi Aloo ki Sabzi with Bedmi Poori.
Yield: 3 to 4 servings
Prep time: 10 minutes
Total time: 25 minutes
Ingredients For Bedmi Aloo Sabzi
250 grams aloo boiled (potato)
3 tomatoes pureed
1 teaspoon ginger paste
1 tablespoon kasuri methi (dried fenugreek leaves)
2 dry red chilli
½ teaspoon haldi (turmeric)
1 teaspoon dhania (coriander)
½ teaspoon chilli powder
1 teaspoon jeera (cumin)
Salt to taste
1 tablespoon mustard oil or any other
Directions For Bedmi Aloo Sabzi
- Crush the aloo roughly and set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan; add jeera, red chilli, kasuri methi and hing.
- Add tomato pure and saute till it thickens and oil starts to come out.
- Now add haldi, dhania, red chilli powder and salt and saute for a minute.
- Add the crushed aloo and saute for a few minutes.
- Now pour in 2 cups of water and let it simmer for 10 minutes.
- Adjust the thickness of the gravy by adding more water if required and cook.
- Serve garnished with coriander leaves.