This Broccoli & Cauliflower Gratin dish is made using yogurt instead of the regular white sauce or Benchamel sauce. This way you can cut down on some of the fats, and make it more healthy. It is still rich and creamy. Spoon the yogurt and cheese mixture over the broccoli and cauliflower florets and top with breadcrumbs.
Yield: 2 to 3
Prep time: 10 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
2 cups Broccoli chopped into bite size
1 cup Cauliflower chopped into bite size
½ cup hung yogurt
½ cup cheddar cheese grated for sauce
1 tablespoon cheese grated for baking
1 tsp whole grain mustard
Few drops of Tabasco
2 tablespoon fresh bread crumbs
¼ teaspoon garlic flakes/ powder
Pepper and chilli flakes
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the broccoli and cauliflower and blanch for about 2 to 3 minutes only. Drain and pour cold water to stop cooking. Set aside.
- In a bowl whip yogurt, mustard, cheese, pepper and salt.
- Season the bread crumbs with garlic and chilli flakes.
- Transfer the vegetables in a greased baking dish. Season with tabasco, a pinch of salt and toss.
- Pour the cheese sauce over the vegetables.
- Spread the bread crumbs and sprinkle cheese on top.
- Bake in a preheated Owen for 10 minutes and then under a grill for 5 minutes or till the crumbs are golden in colour.
- Serve hot.