Tomato Upma is made of rava / sooji. This simple and healthy south Indian breakfast is a popular breakfast dish relished all over India.
Yield: 2 servings
Prep time: 10 minutes
Total time: 25 minutes
Ingredients for Tomato Upma
1 cup Sooji / Rava (Semolina)
½ teaspoon Mustard seeds
½ teaspoon Cumin seeds
1 dry red chilli
1 teaspoon Urad dal
1 teaspoon Chana dal
1 tablespoon Curry leaves
1 Green chilli slit
½ teaspoon Ginger chopped fine
1 teaspoon garlic chopped fine
1 onion chopped
2 tomato’s chopped fine
2 teaspoon Coriander chopped
2 tablespoon carrot grated (optional)
1 teaspoon Lemon juice (optional)
A pinch of hing
Salt to taste
2 teaspoon Oil
2 teaspoon Ghee
3 cups Water
Directions for Tomato Upma
- In a deep pan, roast the rava on medium to low heat till it starts to change the colour. Set aside.
- Heat oil in the same pan; add mustard seeds, jeera, chana dal, urad dal, chilli, and sauté till light brown.
- Add hing, curry leaves, green chilli, ginger, garlic and onions, and sauté till translucent.
- Now add carrot and tomato, stir, cover and cook till tomatoes starts to soften.
- Add salt and water.
- When the water comes to a boil, add the rava, stir and cook covered on low heat.
- Stir when almost all the water is absorbed and add lemon juice. Cover again and simmer on low heat for 5 minutes.
- Switch off the heat and leave it for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Now add the ghee and coriander leaves. Mix well.
- Serve with coconut chutney and/or onion chutney.