Hummus is made from chick peas and serves as a healthy option for dips and spreads. This Middle Eastern Appetiser is easy to make at home. Grilled Pita With Hummus can be prepared well in advance and easily served during get-togethers as last minute preparation is not required.
Ingredients for Grilled Pita With Hummus
4 Pita breads or 1 recipe of pita bread
1 cup drained well-cooked chickpeas. liquid reserved (canned can be used)
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus 1 tablespoon for drizzling
4 cloves garlic, minced
½ tablespoon ground cumin
½ tsp paprika, or to taste, plus for garnish
Juice of ½ lemon
1 tbsp thick curd ( hung yogurt)
Salt to taste
1 tsp tahini (sesame paste) optional
Chopped fresh parsley leaves for garnish
Directions for Grilled Pita With Hummus
For the Hummus
- Place everything except the parsley in a food processor and churn.
- Stop and scrape the sides.
- Add the chickpea liquid if required to make a smooth puree.
- Adjust the seasoning and lemon to taste.
- Store it in glass jar with a lid in refrigerator. Can last for 2 to 3 weeks.
- Serve in a broad shallow dish.
- Make craters by swirling with the back of a spoon.
- Just before serving drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with a bit more cumin and paprika.
- Garnish with a spring of parsley.
For the grilled Pita
- Heat a grill. Place the pita breads on the grill until grill marks appear underneath, for about two minutes.
- Turn the breads over and continue grilling for about 1 minute more.
- Place the bread on a cutting board, cut each bread into four wedges.
- Place the bowl of Hummus on a platter and surround with the pita wedges.
- Serve with picked turnip and beet root if desired.
Note: You can buy ready to use Tahini paste. However I prefer to make it at home. Both hummus and pita bread can be prepared well in advance.