Cauliflower Fritters are soft from inside and crispy from the outside. These Mexican Style fritters taste yummy and are served with a tangy Red Pepper Sauce. They make a great appetizer. I have served these fritters on many occasions – for birthdays, get together’s etc. and they have always been a hit. You can also replace cauliflower with baby corn to prepare baby corn fritters or can combine both cauliflower and baby corn.
Yield: serves 4 to 6
Prep time: 10 minutes
Total time: 20 minutes
Ingredients for Cauliflower Fritters
1 Medium cauliflower, heads separated
For the Marinade
½ tsp chilli flakes
½ tsp dried oregano
A few drops of tobacco sauce or lemon juice
A pinch of salt
For the batter
100 grams plain flour (maida)
25 grams corn starch
½ teaspoon dried oregano
½ teaspoon paprika or chilli powder
½ teaspoon salt
Chilled soda to make the batter
Oil to fry
Directions for Cauliflower Fritters
- Boil cauliflower in salted water till they are half-cooked. (5 minutes should be enough).
- Drain and keep under running water to cool it immediately. Set aside for the water to drain completely.
- Transfer in a large bowl and add all the ingredients of the marinade. Toss well. Cover and keep in fridge to marinate for at least half an hour.
- Mix all the ingredients for the batter except soda in a bowl. Make a thick batter by adding the soda water. Whisk to remove all the lumps. (The batter should not be too thick or too thin).
- Now dip the marinated florets and fry in medium hot oil till golden and crisp.
- Drain on absorbent paper.
- Serve hot with Red Pepper Sauce.
Note: Water is always boiled before adding any vegetable to reduce the cooking time. The reason these vegetables are kept in cold water is to stop the cooking process immediately and also to prevent discolouration.