Coriander & Lemongrass soup has a lovely combination of two delicate herbs. It is a clear soup, mildly flavoured and is very low in calories. Mushrooms and baby corn adds a lot of fibre to the soup. I simply love this soup and don’t have to plan in making it as the two main ingredients-Coriander and Lemongrass are permanent residents of my Balcony Garden.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Total time: 25 minutes
For the stock
1/3 cup coriander stalk roughly chopped
1 stick lemongrass roughly chopped
4 lemongrass green stalks tied together like a bundle
1 teaspoon chopped ginger
1 teaspoon chopped garlic
2 bay leaves
For the soup
1 carrot sliced
4 baby corn sliced
4 button mushrooms sliced
1 tablespoon coriander roughly torn
1 teaspoon oil
A pinch of chilli flakes or 1 green chilli slit in two
1 teaspoon lemon juice
2 tablespoon corn starch mixed in ¼ cup water.
- In a mortar and pestle lightly crush ginger, garlic, coriander stalk and lemongrass.
- In a pot bring 5 cups of water to boil, add the crushed coriander mix, lemongrass greens and bay leaves. Boil for 15 minutes on low heat. Strain and keep.
- Heat oil in a pot, add the chilli flakes, carrots, baby corn and mushrooms, saute for 3 minutes.
- Stir in the stock and add salt. Boil till the vegetables are all most cooked but not soft.
- Now add the corn starch mixed in water and stir. Add the lemon juice, coriander leaves and switch off the heat.
- Adjust the seasoning according to your taste.
- Serve with a spring of coriander.