Homemade Refried Beans is a dish of cooked and mashed beans and is a traditional staple of Mexican and Tex-Mex cuisine. This is served as a side dish with most Tex-Mex restaurant meals. They also have become very popular as a dip for corn tortilla chips.
Refried beans are so easy and simple to make at home. You can flavor them according to your taste. This versatile side dish is a must with Quesadillas, Top Nachos, Wraps and many more.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
Ingredients for Homemade Refried Beans
1 cup rajma soaked overnight (kidney beans/pinto beans)
1 onion chopped fine
1 teaspoon garlic chopped
1 tablespoon coriander chopped fine
½ teaspoon chilli powder
1 teaspoon cumin powder
1 teaspoon lemon juice
Salt to taste
1 tablespoon oil
Directions for Homemade Refried Beans
- Pressure cook rajma with enough water till tender.
- Heat oil in a pan; add garlic, onion and saute for a minute.
- Lightly crush the beans and add to the onions, toss well.
- Add the chilli, cumin, salt and saute.
- Add 2 to 3 tablespoon of water and cook till thick.
- Switch off the heat .
- Add lemon juice and coriander.
- Serve as a side dish.