Vegetable Pulao is a common dish made in most Indian house hold. It is a one dish meal. I make this pulao when I want to make something quick and easy. There are many variations for making this dish.For making a good pulao one must use a good quality of long grain Basmati rice.
I like to add a lot of vegetables in my puloa. The use of khada masala (whole spices) flavours the rice beautifully. Serve with Kachumber Raita.
Yield : 4 servings
Prep time: 10 minutes
Total time: 35 minutes
Ingredients for Vegetable Pulao
2 cups Basmati Rice
½ cup matar (green peas) frozen can be used
½ cup beans diagnally cut
1 carrot diagonally cut
1 cup cauliflower florets
1” piece ginger grated
1 green chilli slit
2 green cardamoms
1 stick cinnamon
2 bay leaves
1 star anise
½ teaspoon javitri (mace)
2 teaspoon jeera (cumin)
Salt to taste
2 tablespoon ghee
4 cups water
1 teaspoon lemon juice
Directions for Vegetable Pulao
- Soak the rice and keep aside.
- Heat ghee in a deep pan; add cumin, cloves, cardamoms, cinnamon, mace, satr anise and bay leaves and fry for a few seconds.
- Add the ginger and green chilli and all the vegetables, saute for a minute.
- Cover and cook for 3 minutes.
- Drain the rice, add to the vegetables and saute till the rice is well coated and translucent.
- Add water and salt, give one stir.
- Ones it starts boiling cover and cook on low heat.
- When water is almost absorbed, stir in lemon juice, cover and cook till rice is done.
- Let it rest for few minutes before serving.
- Serve with raita and papad.