Tindora Rice (ivy Gourd) or Kovakai Rice is a simple and delicious rice preparation made across south India. It is similar to vangi bath, and can be made using vangi bath masala. I have made my own roasted masala powder for this dish.
This vegetable is rich in vitamin B which are essential for smooth working of the brain and the nervous system. It is full of anti-oxidants and also promotes metabolism.
Serve the Tindora Rice with our Kachumber Raita.
Yield: 2 to 3 serving
Prep time: 15 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
Ingredients for Tindora Rice
1 cup basmati Rice/sona masoori rice soaked
200 grams tindora (Ivy gourd) washed
½ cup onion chopped fine
1 teaspoon garlic chopped fine
2 tablespoon curry leaves washed
2 tablespoon coriander chopped
1 teaspoon lemon juice (optional)
½ teaspoon turmeric powder
1 teaspoon vangi bath masala (optional)
2 to 3 tablespoon roasted masala
2 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 red dry chilli
1 teaspoon channa dal
1 teaspoon urad dal
For roasted masala
½ teaspoon Jeera (Cumin)
2 teaspoon Dhania (coriander seeds)
1 teaspoon Chana dal (gram dal)
1 teaspoon Urad dal
4 Red chilies
1 inch Cinnamon
Directions for Tindora Rice
- In a pan dry roast all the ingredients for the Masala on low heat till aromatic. Switch off the heat. Cool and grind to a powder. Keep aside.
- Cut the tindora into 4 vertically or you can cut into ½”rounds, set aside.
- Cook the rice and set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan; add mustard seeds, Chana dal, urad dal, chilli, curry patta and sauté till light brown.
- Add garlic and onions, and sauté till translucent.
- Now add the tindora and cook till half done.
- Add turmeric, salt, tomato and stir, cover and cook till tomatoes are mushy and tindora is cooked.
- Now add the vangi bath masala and the roasted masala, stir to mix well.
- Add the cooked rice, coriander and lemon juice and mix well.
- Serve with kachumber raita or yogurt.