Mexican rice can easily be made at home. This Mexican rice comes together so easily and quickly using few ingredients. You can serve it alongside some tacos or enchiladas. Today I have also tried this rice as a filling for Bell Peppers.
Serves: 2 to 3
Prep time: 10 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
1 cup long grain rice soaked
¾ cup corn kernels boiled or frozen
4 medium tomatoes
2 medium onions cubed
1 teaspoon garlic chopped
1 tablespoon coriander chopped (cilantro)
1 teaspoon oregano
½ teaspoon cumin powder
½ teaspoon chilli flakes
Salt to taste
2 teaspoon oil
- Blanch the tomatoes, peel, chop fine or blend coarsely. Reserve the water for later use. Keep aside.
- Drain the rice and keep.
- Heat oil in a pan, add garlic and onion, sauté till translucent.
- Add the corn kernels, chilli flakes, oregano, cumin and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add the rice, and salt and sauté for 2 minutes till rice is well glazed.
- Stir in the chopped tomatoes and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Now add 2 cups of water (use the water of the blanched tomatoes).
- Cover the rice and cook by stirring ones in between.
- Stir in the coriander before serving.
- Serve with a spring of coriander or fresh oregano.
Notes: You can use green peas along with corn kernels. Add the chopped coriander just before serving, to retain the colour and the freshness.