Sindhi Kadhi is a very healthy and a mouthwatering dish. A variety of vegetables are used to prepare this dish and the best part is you can use any vegetable of your choice as there is no rigid combination to be followed. This Kadhi is different from all the other kadhis as no yoghurt is used.
You may also try our other kadhi recipe “Mangochi” (Moong Dal Kadhi).
Serves: 4 to 5
Prep time: 10 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
Ingredients for Sindhi Kadhi
3 tablespoon besan (gram flour)
3 teaspoon oil
½ teaspoon sarson (mustard seed)
¼ teaspoon methi (fenugreek)
A pinch of hing (asafoetida)
½ teaspoon haldi (turmeric powder)
1 teaspoon dhania (coriander)
1 green chilli slit in two
1 tablespoon curry leaves
1 potato peeled and cut in thick wedges
1 drumstick peeled and cut in 3” pieces (sahjan ke phali)
1 carrot cut into ½” thick slices
5 beans cut in 2 pieces
10 cluster beans cut in 2 (gawar fall)
10 Hyacinth or broad flat beans (seim ki phali)
8 big chunks of bottle gourd (lauki)
5 big pieces of cauliflower (gobhi)
½ capsicum cut in chunks (Shimla mirch)
2 tablespoon coriander chopped
2 tablespoon tamarind pulp
Salt to taste
2 tsp Ghee
½ tsp jeera (Cumin)
½ tsp red chilli powder
Directions for Sindhi Kadhi
- Add mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds and asafoetida to the pan .
- Add gram flour and sauté till fragrant.
- Now add turmeric powder, red chilli powder and coriander powder and mix well.
- Take off the heat. Let the roasted besan come to room temperature.
- While stirring add 1 litter water and bring it to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and let it boil for 5 minutes.
- Add all the chopped vegetables except coriander and add salt.
- Presurre cook in medium heat till 1 whistle and switch off the heat.
- When the vegetables are cooked, add tamarind pulp and mix well. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Heat ghee in a small pan (the ones used for tempering).
- Add the cumin and let it roast to brown colour.
- Switch off the heat and add the chilli powder.
- Immediately pour on the kadhi.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve with steamed rice and Papad.