This is a protein rich dish made with Whole Masoor (sabut Masoor or Whole red lentils). Masoor has a pleasant earthy flavor and is commonly used to make dal, soups and stews. Sabut Masoor ki Dal is a very healthy dish as it is cooked along with the skin. Masoor Dal is made a little thick and is served with roti, paratha or even with rice.
Prep time: 30 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
For the Dal
1 Cup Whole Masoor Dal/Brown Lentil, soaked for 1 hour
1/2 Onion chopped fine
2 Garlic clove chopped fine
1/2 Tomato chopped fine
1 Green Chilli chopped fine
½ teaspoon ginger chopped fine
1/2 teaspoon Turmeric Powder
Salt to taste
For the Tempering
1 +1 tablespoon Ghee
1/2 +1/2 teaspoon jeera (Cumin Seed)
1 onion sliced
1 teaspoon Ginger Garlic paste
1 tablespoon tomato puree
1 teaspoon kasoori methi
1 teaspoon Red Chili Powder
1 teaspoon Coriander powder
A pinch of Salt
2 tablespoon Chopped Coriander
- Pressure cook masoor dal with all the ingredients for Dal and 3 cups of water. After one whistle lower the heat and cook for 20 minutes.
- Heat 1 spoon ghee and add cumin seeds and allow to splutter. Add onion, ginger garlic paste and sauté for a minute.
- Add tomato puree and kasoori methi and stir for 2 minutes.
- Add the red chili powder, coriander powder, mix well.
- Add this to the dal and cook on low heat for 5 minutes. Adjust the thickness.
- Switch off the heat and stir in half chopped coriander.
- Ladle the dal in a serving bowl.
- Now make a tempering by heating rest of the ghee. Add a pinch of cumin and then 1/3 tsp of chilli powder and pour on the dal.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve with Khasta Roti.