Rajma (Red kidney bean) is a protein rich bean curry cooked with onions and spices, and is best served with rice hence the name Rajma Rice. But this dish can be enjoyed with parathas also. This is my favourite Punjabi dish. It is a healthy, comfort food which can be eaten for lunch as well as dinner.
Total time: 1 hr +soaking time
1 cup Rajma (red kidney beans)
1” Cinnamon stick
2 big cardamoms (badi ilayachi)
2 medium onions diced
5 to 6 cloves of garlic
1 teaspoon chopped ginger
2 tomatoes chopped fine
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon coriander powder
3/4 teaspoon chilli powder
½ teaspoon garam masala
½ teaspoon roasted cumin powder
2 tablespoon oil
1 tablespoon ghee
½ teaspoon cumin
Chopped coriander for garnishing
1 cup basmati rice (long grain rice)
2 teaspoon ghee
1 small onion sliced
2 bay leaves
2 cups water
½ teaspoon salt
- Soak Rajma in water for 6 hours or overnight.
- Drain the beans. Add 4 cups of water and pressure cook rajma with salt, cardamom and cinnamon stick. After the 1st whistle reduce the heat and cook for 20 minutes or until soft.
- Grind onion, ginger and garlic to a coarse paste.
- Heat oil in a pan. Now add the onion paste. On low heat fry the paste till golden brown.
- Now add the chopped tomatoes and fry for two minutes or till the tomatoes are soft.
- Add all the dry masalas except garam masala. Fry till oil starts to separate.
- Add cooked rajma with all the water and boil on low heat for 15 minutes or till the gravy is smooth and a little thick. (to make the gravy thick you can mash a little rajma with the back of the spoon)
- Now add the garam masala and switch the heat off.
- Heat ghee and add cumin seeds to it. Pour this on the cooked rajma.
- Garnish with chopped coriander.
For the Rice
- Wash the rice well and soak for 10 minutes. Strain and keep.
- Heat ghee in a pan and add the cumin, bay leaves and sliced onions. Fry till onions are almost brownish.
- Add the rice and stir for 1 minute so that it is well coated with ghee. Add salt and two cups of water. Cook till rice is done.
- Serve with Rajma.