Pyaz Karela Masala (Bitter Guard) subzi is simple to make. This is a dry subzi with equal quantity of onion and Karela. The Karela is boiled in salted water to get rid of bitterness. I have used a lot of fennel and yogurt which will further help in reducing the bitterness. Karela prepared in this way is not at all bitter.
Yield: 3 to 4 serving
Prep time: 15 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
Ingredients for Pyaz Karela Masala
300 grams Karela
300 grams onion sliced
2 tablespoon sauf crushed (fennal)
1 tablespoon dhania (coriander powder)
1 teaspoon chilli
½ teaspoon haldi (turmeric)
1 teaspoon amchur (dry mango powder)
½ teaspoon garam masala
3 tablespoon mustard oil
½ cup yogurt
Salt to taste
Directions for Pyaz Karela Masala
- Lightly scrape the Karela and cut into 3” long stripes.
- Boil water; add 1 teaspoon salt, pinch of haldi and kerala. Boil till half cooked. Drain and set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan; add cumin and then onion and saute for 1 minutes.
- Add the Karela and saute till the all the moisture has evaporated and the onion and Karela turns pink.
- Add all the dry masala and saute for a minute.
- Now add the yogurt and cook till the moisture has dried.
- Serve with roti or rice.