Posto Turai (Ridge Gourd with poppy seeds) is a very flavorful dish. Turai or Jhinga is a nutrient rich vegetable often not a favourite one though. This preparation is my version of the popular Posto Jhinga, a delicacy from West Bengal. Posto is also known as khus khus or poppy seeds. This is a simple recipe served with rice. You can also enjoy this with roti / chapatti.
Yield: 2 to 3 servings
Prep time: 10 minutes
Total time: 25 minutes
Ingredients for Posto Turai
500 grams ridge gourd sliced
½ cup onion sliced
1 green chilli slit
1 tablespoon ginger garlic paste
1 teaspoon lemon juice (optional)
1 tablespoon khus khus paste
1 tablespoon kasundi (mustard paste) optional
¼ teaspoon haldi (turmeric)
½ teaspoon dhania (coriander)
1 teaspoon panch phora (mustard, cumin, fennel, fenugreek, nigella)
Salt to taste
2 teaspoon oil
Directions for Posto Turai
- Heat oil in a pan; add the panch phoran and allow to splutter.
- Add the ginger garlic paste, chilli, onion and saute till the onions are lightly browned.
- Now add the ridge gourd, salt, dhania, haldi and saute for two minutes, cover and cook till half cooked.
- Add in the khus khus paste and cook till done.
- Now add the kasundi and give a stir to mix well.
- If you want add lemon juice and adjust the seasoning.
- Garnish with chopped coriander.
- Serve with chapatti or paratha.