Palak Paneer is one of the most popular dishes in North India. Chunks of cottage cheese is simmered in a creamy spinach puree. Cottage cheese has mild flavour and it brings down the bitterness of spinach very well. It is quite a healthy dish packed with vitamins, iron and proteins. Palak paneer topped with cream, is served with different kinds of Indian breads like Naan, Tandori Roti, Paratha and chapati.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
Ingredients for Palak Paneer
200 grams paneer cubed (cottage cheese)
4 cups spinach washed and chopped
2 green chilies chopped
1/3 teaspoon sugar
A pinch of baking soda
2 medium onions chopped fine
1 tablespoon garlic chopped fin
1 teaspoon ginger chopped fine
1 tablespoon tomato puree
¼ teaspoon kasoori methi crushed
1 tablespoon oil
1 tablespoon ghee
2 tablespoon cream
½ teaspoon lemon juice
½” piece of cinnamon
¼ teaspoon mace
½ teaspoon cumin
Directions for Palan Paneer
- Dry roast all the 5 spices on low heat for 3 minutes. Cool and grind to a powder. Set aside.
- Heat a pan; add the spinach, chilli, sugar and soda. Stir a couple of times. The spinach will wilt and shrink. Switch off the heat and transfer the spinach onto a flat dish to cool.
- Blend the spinach to make pure and set aside.
- Heat oil and ghee in a pan, add ginger, garlic and onions, sauté till translucent.
- Add tomato puree and cook till oil starts to separate.
- Now add the roasted spice mix and kasoori methi.
- Stir in the spinach pure and cook till it starts to bubble.
- Add the cream, stir and add the paneer pieces and salt. Cook on low heat for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Switch off the heat and add lemon juice and give a stir.
- Serve with bread of your choice.
Note: Sugar and soda will help to retain the green colour of the spinach. The roasted spice mix will make a difference in this dish so; don’t substitute it with the normal garam masala.