Masala Arbi (Colocasia roots) is a delicious dish. Arbi or Colocasia is cooked in a onion based sauce. The arbi is boiled and then fried before adding in the masala. I have Air Fried the arbi instead of deep friyng. Masala Arbi (Colocasia roots) has thick gravy and goes well with Khasta Roti and Paratha. It is a root vegetable grown in tropical regions and has a close resemblance to potatoes.
Yield: 2-3 servings
Prep Time: 20 mins
Total Time: 30 mins
Ingredients for Masala Arbi
250 grams Arbi (Colocasia)
2 medium onions diced
1 tsp ginger chopped
5 cloves of garlic
2 tomatoes puried
2 tablespoon oil
½ teaspoon jeera (cumin)
¼ teaspoon haldi (turmeric powder)
1 teaspoon dhania (coriander powder)
3/4 teaspoon chilli powder
½ teaspoon roasted jeera powder (cumin powder)
Salt to taste
1 tablespoon yogurt
½ teaspoon garam masala
Directions for Masala Arbi
- In a pressure cooker boil arbi just like aalu (potato). Take care not to over cook it.
- Cool and peel. Cut into two,length wise.
- Deep fry the arbi in oil to golden brown. I used an Air fryer.
- Grind onion, ginger and garlic to a coarse paste.
- Heat the oil in a pan. Now add the onion paste. On low heat fry the paste till golden brown. (I had the fried onion garlic paste so I add the tomato puree first then the onion paste.)
- Now add the chopped tomatoes and fry for two minutes or till the tomatoes are soft.
- Add all the dry masalas except garam masala. Fry till oil starts to separates.
- Now add the curd and stir till well mixed .
- Add the fried arbi, salt and stir. Add 1 cup water to it and cook covered on low heat till the arbi is soft and the gravy is thick.
- Add the garam masala.
- Garnish with chopped coriander and serve hot with roti or parantha.