Lobia Masala (Black Eyed Beans) or chawli is a protein rich main dish. This is a simple and nutritious dish made often in Indian house hold. The dish is made using onion, ginger garlic paste, tomato and simple spices. I have used little methi leaves to give this dish fresh earthy flavor.
Try with our khasta roti, rice or chapatti.
Yield: 4 serving
Prep time: 20 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
Ingredients for Lobia Masala
1 cup lobia soaked (black eyed beans or cowpea beans)
1 cup onion chopped fine
1 cup tomato chopped fine
1 tablespoon ginger garlic paste
2 tablespoon methi leaves chopped fine
2 tablespoon imali pulp
2 bay leaves
2 to 3 cloves
1 teaspoon jeera
1 teaspoon dhania
½ teaspoon chilli powder
½ teaspoon haldi
½ teaspoon garam masala
½ teaspoon jeera powder
Salt to taste
1 tablespoon oil
Directions for Lobia Masala
- Pressure cook the lobia with salt till done. Take care not to overcook Lobia as it cooks quite fast unlike chole or rajma. It takes a little longer than the channa dal.
- Heat oil in a pan; add cumin, bay leaves, cloves and wait for cumin to brown.
- Add the ginger garlic paste and onions and saute till translucent.
- Now add the methi leaves and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add haldi, dhania chilli and toss, add the tomatoes and cook till tomatoes are soft and mussy.
- Stir in the boiled lobia and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the tamarind paste, garam masala, jeera powder and cook till the gravy is of desired consistency.
- Serve hot with rice or roti.