Lauki Stew (Bottle Gourd) recipe just requires 15 minutes to make. There are hardly any spices used yet it taste awesome. This dish has to be eaten steaming hot immediately after cooking. It can be eaten as it is, or with chapatis or rice. A very healthy, easy to make and light on stomach, this dish is a must try especially on a cold evening.
Serves: 2 to 3
Prep time: 5 minutes
Total time: 15 minutes
2 cups lauki cubed (bottle gourd)
2 tomatoes quartered
1 green chilli slit in 2
1 tablespoon coriander chopped
¼ teaspoon haldi (turmeric)
¼ teaspoon jeera (cumin)
A pinch of hing (asafoetida)
Salt to taste
Pepper freshly ground
2 teaspoon ghee (clarified butter)
- Heat the ghee in a pressure cooker, add cumin, hing and green chilli and stir.
- Add the lauki, give one stir and add tomatoes and haldi.
- Stir in 1/2 cup water and salt.
- Close the lid and cook till one whistle, lower the heat and cook for 3 minutes.
- Switch off the heat and wait till the pressure is released.
- Open the lid and take out the tomatoes in a small bowl.
- Remove the skin and mash the tomatoes.
- Transfer them back in the cooker and cook for 5 minutes on low heat without the lid.
- Crack some pepper and add the chopped coriander.
- Serve immediately.