Kaddu Panch Phoran (Pumpkin, Petha, Sitaphal) is a delicious dry sabji (vegetable). Pretty simple and easy to make this side dish can be served along with rice and dal or even goes well with roti or paratha. I love this sabji made in mustard oil with Paratha. The aroma you get from panch phoran (mix of five whole spices) is too good.
For this recipe I like to buy pumpkin that is not ripe and has a green tender skin as I cook this dish with the skin.
Yield: 2 to 3 serving
Prep time: 5 minutes
Total time: 15 to 20 minutes
Ingredients For Kaddu Panch Phoran (Pumpkin, Petha, Sitaphal)
500 grams pumpkin
2 green chilli slit into 2
1 teaspoon coriander chopped
1 teaspoon panch phoran
1 tablespoon dhania powder
½ teaspoon chilli powder
¼ teaspoon haldi
½ teaspoon garam masala
1 teaspoon amchur (mango powder)
Pinch of hing (asafoetida)
Salt to taste
2 tablespoon mustard oil
Directions For Kaddu Panch Phoran (Pumpkin, Petha, Sitaphal)
- Chop the pumpkin into medium size pieces with the skin.
- Heat oil in a pan; add hing, chilli, panch phoran and let it crackle.
- Add the pumpkin and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add salt and turmeric and saute.
- Cover and cook till half cooked.
- Add coriander, chilli, garam masala, amchur and saute till there is no moisture and the pumpkin is cooked.
- Garnish with chopped coriander.
- Serve with roti and rice.