Gobhi Aloo is a favorite dish of almost every house hold. This popular combination can be cooked in various ways. I have made Gobhi Aloo Raseela by roasting the vegetables before adding to the cooked masala. A small pinch of cardamom added to the dish elevates its flavor.
Serves: 4 to 5
Prep time: 10 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
1 head cauliflower, chopped in medium pieces
2 medium potato peeled and cubed
2 medium onions chopped fine
2 teaspoon ginger garlic paste
1 tablespoon dry methi leaves (Fenugreek leaves)
2 tomatoes pureed
2 tablespoon coriander chopped
2 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon oil
1 teaspoon jeera (cumin)
½ teaspoon haldi (turmeric powder)
2 teaspoon dhania powder (coriander)
1 teaspoon Kashmiri mirch (red chilli powder)
1 teaspoon Salt
½ teaspoon garam masala
A pinch of cardamom powder.
- Roast the cauliflower and potato drizzled with 1 tsp oil, under a grill or in a non stick pan.
- Heat the 2 tbsp oil in a pan, add cumin and then add the onions.
- Sauté on low heat till onions are translucent, add the ginger garlic paste and stir for a while.
- Add methi leaves and all the dry masala’s except garam masala and cardamom powder.
- Sauté for a minute and add the tomato puree. Cook till the oil starts to separate.
- Add the roasted cauliflower and potato, stir till all the vegetables are well coated with the masala.
- Add 1 cup water, simmer on low heat till the gravy is thick and the cauliflower is cooked.
- Switch off the heat and add the garam masala and cardamom powder.
- Also stir in half the chopped coriander.
- Serve garnished with rest of coriander.