Dal Makhani is a super-rich and creamy lentil preparation usually served in Indian restaurants. Makkhan means butter. As the name suggests, this dal is made using a lot of butter. In Punjab, households cook this Whole Urad Dal commonly known as Maa Ki Dal every day. This home cooked dal is simple and not rich like the ones served in restaurants.
This Dal Makhani dish is made creamy not by using plenty of butter but by using yogurt and milk. This way, you can enjoy the dish as much as you want without adding too many calories.
Yield: 4 to 5 servings
Prep time: 10 minutes
Total time: 60 minutes
Ingredients for dal Makhani
1 cup Whole Udad Dal / Black Gram
¼ cup Rajma / Kidney Beans soaked overnight
2 tablespoon Channa Dal / Gram Dal
1 Medium Onion chopped fine
2 teaspoon Ginger chopped fine
2 + 1 teaspoon Garlic chopped fine
1 Green Chilli chopped fine
1/3 cup Tomato Puree
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon Cumin seeds
½+½ teaspoon Red Chilli Powder
½ teaspoon Turmeric
2 tablespoon Yogurt
2 tablespoon Fresh Cream
1 tablespoon Butter
Salt to Taste
Directions for preparing Dal Makhani
- Drain the rajma. Wash the urad dal and channa dal. Place all the 3 in a pressure cooker.
- Add 3 cups of water, chopped onion, ginger, 2 teaspoon garlic, green chilli, cardamom, cloves, cinnamon, turmeric and salt.
- Cook on medium heat till the first pressure is released. Now lower the heat and cook for 20 minutes or 4 to 5 whistles.
- Check if the dal is cooked or else pressure cook some more.
- Stir in the tomato puree and cook for 5 minutes on low heat.
- Beat the yogurt and add to the dal.
- Slightly mash the dal and cook till creamy.
- Heat butter in a small pan, add cumin seeds and bay leaf, stir-fry for 10 seconds.
- Add 1 teaspoon garlic and saute till light brown.
- Now add the red chilli powder and pour on the dal.
- Stir in the cream and cook for 5 minutes.
- Adjust the thickness and the seasoning.
- Serve hot. Best enjoyed with Naan.