Dal Drumstick (Munga, Sahjan Ki Phali, Moringa) is a very nutritious main course dish. This dal when served with rice or roti makes a complete meal. Drumstick is known to be very therapeutic for the human health in one way or another. The leaves, flowers, seeds are all very useful and beneficial for health.
This particular veggie offers all type of nutritional advantages and in addition cures numerous health conditions. It is a good source of Iron, Vitamins and Dietary Fiber to name a few.
Yield: 2 to 3 serving
Prep time: 5 minutes
Total time: 25 minutes
INGREDIENTS FOR DAL DRUMSTICK
½ cup tuvar dal soaked (arhar/ toor/ pigeon peas)
2 drumsticks peeled and cut into 3”pieces
1 onion sliced
1 tomato chopped fine
6 pods garlic sliced
1 green chilli slit
1 tablespoon curry leaves
1 tablespoon coriander chopped
1 teaspoon lemon juice (optional)
1 teaspoon dhania (coriander powder)
½ teaspoon chilli powder
1/3 teaspoon haldi (turmeric)
¼ teaspoon mustard
¼ teaspoon jeera (cumin)
A pinch of asafoetida
Salt to taste
1 tablespoon ghee
DIRECTIONS FOR DAL DRUMSTICK
- Pressure cook the dal for till 2 whistles.
- Wait for the pressure to release, add the drumstick, salt and give one more whistle.
- Heat ghee in a pan; add mustard, cumin and let it crackle.
- Add hing, garlic and onion and saute till onions turn pink.
- Add the tomatoes and curry leaves and cook till tomatoes are mushy.
- Add the haldi, coriander, chilli powder and saute for a minute.
- Add the cooked dal, and adjust the consistency and boil for 2 minutes.
- Now add the lemon juice and chopped coriander.
- Serve with rice or roti.