Baingan Bhaja (Pan Fried Eggplant/Aubergine) is a delicious pan fried side dish. Baingan or Brinjals are available in different shape, size and colour. For this recipe we need the big purple one that is used for making baingan bharta. This is a easy recipe and tastes yummy. Many recipes call for frying but I prefer to pan fry as Brinjal absorbs a lot of oil while frying.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
Ingredients For Baingan Bhaja
1 Large Baingan (Aubergine)
1 teaspoon Dhania (Coriander powder)
½ teaspoon red Chilli powder
A pinch of Haldi (turmeric)
½ teaspoon Garam Masala
1 teaspoon dry Mango powder
¼ teaspoon garlic powder optional
2 tablespoon Rice flour
2 tablespoon Besan (Gram flour)
Salt to taste
Oil for shallow frying
Directions For Baingan Bhaja
- Slice the Brinjal in ½” thick roundels.
- Mix all the dry masala in a bowl.
- Mix both the flour in a separate bowl.
- Lay the sliced in a tray in a single layer, sprinkle the masala and gently rub. Leave it for 5 minutes.
- Now sprinkle a layer of the flour mix and let it rest for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Turn all the slices and repeat the same process to marinate for at least 10 minutes.
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a pan and shallow fry the slices on both the sides by adding more oil as required.
- Serve hot with a dash of lemon juice.