Aloo Tamatar (Potato Tomato) curry is a very easy recipe with a good blend of spices. The gravy is made without using onion and garlic commonly made in Rajasthan and many states of North India. Aloo curry is usually paired with Poori, Paratha and Kachori. During winter season you can have this Aloo gravy with Matar Kachori.
Serves: 2 to 3
Prep time: 15 minutes
Total time: 25 minutes
250 grams Potato boiled and diced
150 grams tomato chopped fine or pureed
1 teaspoon ginger chopped fine
1 green chilli slit
2 teaspoon oil
½ teaspoon cumin (jeera)
1/3 teaspoon sugar
½ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
1 teaspoon coriander powder (dhania)
1 teaspoon Kashmiri chilli powder (mirch)
1 bay leaf (tej patta)
A pinch of asafoetida (hing)
- Heat oil in a pan, add cumin seeds, when seeds turn golden, add asafoetida , bay leaf and green chilli.
- Add the ginger, tomatoes and sugar, sauté till the tomatoes are mushy and oil starts to separate.
- Now add all the dry masalas and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add the potatoes and sauté till well coated with the masala.
- Stir in hot water just enough to cover the potatoes, add salt and cook for 10 minutes on low heat.
- Check the consistency, if required add some more water as it should not be too thick a gravy. Boil for 2 minutes if water is added.
- Switch off the heat and add half of chopped coriander and stir.
- Serve garnished with rest of coriander.