Aloo Dum or Dum Aloo is prepared in all household of India. There is a lot of variations to this dish. This is a delicious recipe with a good blend of spices. Potatoes are generally fried before adding to the gravy but in this recipe I have Air Fried them. Aloo Dum can be eaten with Rice or any Indian bread. In our family we love it with Urad Dal Poori known as Club Kachori.
Serves: 2 to 3
Prep time: 15 minutes
Total time: 35 minutes
250 grams Potato boiled
100 grams tomato pureed
1 teaspoon ginger chopped
6 cloves of garlic
1 green chilli chopped
2 medium onions cubed
2 teaspoon oil
½ teaspoon jeera (cumin)
½ teaspoon haldi (turmeric powder)
1 teaspoon dhania (coriander seeds)
2 dry mirch (red chilli )
½ teaspoon saunf (fennel seeds)
¼ teaspoon methi (fenugreek seeds)
2 green elaichi (cardamom)
2 lavang (cloves)
1 stick dalchini (cinnamon )
2 tablespoon yogurt
Oil to fry (optional)
- In a pan dry roast on low heat, coriander seeds, fennel seeds, fenugreek seeds, cardamom, cloves and cinnamon for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the red chillies and take the pan off the heat. Cool and ground to a coarse powder. Set aside.
- Cut the potatoes into big chunks. Spray with a little oil or apply oil with a brush.
- Air fry till golden. Keep aside
- Make a paste of onion, ginger, garlic and green chilli in a blender.
- Heat oil in a pan, add cumin seeds, when seeds turn golden, add the onion paste sauté till golden brown on medium to low heat.
- Stir in the tomato puree and turmeric powder, cook till oil starts to separate.
- Now add the pounded masalas and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add the potatoes and sauté till well coated with the masala.
- Stir in yogurt and mix well.
- Add water just enough to cover the potatoes, add salt and cook for 10 minutes on low heat.
- Check the consistency, if required add some more water as it should not be too thin a gravy. Boil for 2 minutes if water is added.
- Switch off the heat and add half of chopped coriander and stir.
- Serve garnished with rest of the coriander.
Note: I have used an Air-fryer, but alternatively one can deep fry the potato in oil.