Kesaria Shrikhand is an Indian sweet made from hung curd (Greek yogurt). It is a rich and creamy dessert made with few ingredients. Although Shrikhand is an integral part of Gujarati and Maharashtrian cuisine, it is relished all over India.
This Shrikhand is delicately flavoured with saffron and cardamom. The nuts add crunch to the otherwise soft and creamy dish. You may also check out our Rice Kheer.
Yield: 6 servings
Prep time: 20 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
Ingredients for Kesaria Shrikhand
1 kilogram Curd (Yogurt)
200 grams Sugar
4 to 6 Almonds
½ teaspoon Cardamom powder
A few strands of Saffron
1 teaspoon Milk
Directions for Kesaria Shrikhand
- Tie the yogurt in a muslin cloth and hang it overnight over a bowl, in refrigerator, so as to drain all the whey from the yogurt.
- Soak the saffron in milk and set aside.
- Transfer the thick lump of yogurt in a big bowl.
- Add sugar, saffron, cardamom and beat it with a hand blender to a smooth and creamy consistency.
- You can also stir with a spoon and get a smooth Shrikhand. It will take a little more time and is a bit tedious but worth all the efforts.
- Mix in half of the nuts and keep it in the refrigerator for a couple of hours to chill.
- Serve garnished with rest of the nuts.